Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cheer for Beer

I recently came home to find a package on my doorstep. I knew I hadn't ordered anything of late, so I was a little curious as to what this might be. It was clearly addressed to me and the box had some weight to it. Well, I was quite pleasently surprised to open the package and find a 12 pack of beer.
A one page promotional flyer in the box told me this was sent from a Beer of the Month Club, but no other indication as to why I recieved this prize. Then, my wife tells me that we had recieved one of those email Christmas cards from and old friend back before the holiday. She said that in the email he had mentioned to keep an eye on the mail, we would be receiving something. I went back and took a look at his email which I admit I didn't really read at the time. Sure enough, he said something would be coming by post and it would be something aimed a little bit more towards my tastes.
I have to say, this was beautiful gesture on his part. I immediately emailed my friend, John, to thank him. He sent back a reply saying it was a just a little something thanking us for putting him up when he passed through these parts a few years ago. Well, the beer has been great. Some nicely crafted microbrewed ales from both New Hampshire and Colorado.
So, this 12 pack on my door step has prompted John and I to once again correspond. We have also connected through Facebook which also allowed me to connect with other mutual friends. See what a wonderful thing beer can be. Beer can bring people together. Of course, I've always had a great admiration for the benefits of beer, but this little episode is a reminder of what beer can do for us. I plan to enjoy more beer. I hope others will as well.

No comments: